The park is located at a decent distance of 5km from the
railway station. This 300acres of sheer beauty was an outcome of a
British Chief Engineer of Mysore, Sir Richard Shanky in 1864. The
park has been named after Cir Mark Cubbon who was Bangalore's
longest serving commissioner.
Beautiful roads, blooming trees and placid plains are spread all
around. Cubbon Park is a lush, grassy expanse with flowerbeds adding
to the subtle beauty of the park. The park also has several elegant
Graeco-colonial style building showing British influence. There are
a number of monuments within the park including a memorial hall
located at the center of the park that is dedicated to Aeshadri
Aiyar, a Jawahar Bal Bhavan, Children's Park and a Museum.
The museum was established in 1866 and is housing the specimens of
Vijaynagar and Halebid, Mohenjadaeo architecture, ancient coins and
stone inscriptions which are as old as 5000years. This, one of the
oldest museum in India, can be visited on all; days except Mondays
from 08:00am to 05:00pm.
At the entrance you can see a diamond shaped aquarium, the second
largest in the country, There is a good collection of exotic fishes
in the aquarium. The park remains closed on Mondays.